Friday, July 6, 2007

On our amazing ability to deny our craziness

I know I tend to exaggerate my problems and think of myself as the most neurotic of all people. And that too is part of my own craziness.
Still, I am often amazed by people's ability to rationalize their craziness. I mean, I might do and think crazy things, but I am quite aware that they are not very reasonable. Some people just don't.
Anyway, I love to read the weirdest news of the newspaper. Like the one about the garbage lady. She's a Spanish old lady who lives in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Since her husband died she started accumulating garbage in her house. She'd say it was for recycling, but if someone is recycling how can one accumulate 258 tons of garbage in one's house? She's been doing this for 20 years now, the house had this terrible stench, there were rats and cockroaches all over, and yet, her family does not seem to think it was that bad. According to the newspaper her son was surprised with the recent police intervention. After all, it was only a "bit of garbage", no need to such drastic intervention. Meanwhile the police finds out that she even had 24 bottles of gun powder. She just collected everything she could put her hands on.
I'm amazed.

No comments: